Re: Art activities to teach other cultures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 14:23:35 -0700

Sheryl Ann McCoy wrote:

> This is very funny and surreal to me! I wonder what the kids want to
> use in their art work? This is weird to me, but not to them I guess.
> Do they want you to use imported feathers, mud and other found things,
> just as long as we paid for them, or ordered them?

Your answer is almost correct. The vast majority of students here
qualify for free breakfast and lunch, so _all_ the students get their
meals free at school. Because of the way the law is written, the schools
cannot require the students to provide their own notebooks, paper,
pencils, nor pay fees to participate in any class or sport. If I want
them to have a notebook for art history or sketchbook for a studio class,
I have to order them or make them.

I've long thought that since everything is handed to them, free, they
expect everything they use to be new and shiny and unblemished. Woe be
should they have to use scrap paper to test color samples on, or a brush
with paint on the handle! A recently retired first grade teacher who was
here about 30 years once told me that she used to give the used crayons
to her students at the end of each year, and they loved them. In the
last ten years or so, though, they sneered at and rejected those used
crayons.

When I think of schools I've seen in foreign countries that would LOVE to
receive those crayons, it makes me really cynical.

Maggie