Re: reasons for masks in the U.S.......

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 14:07:39 -0700

Bunki Kramer wrote:
> I have a thousand
> reasons for masks from other countries (well, almost) but I'd like to pick
> everybody's brain on reasons for 'em in the good ole US of A.

We just went through this same process last week. Had a blackboard full
of ideas--this from normally reserved students!

> KINDS OF MASKS:

Crown Dancers (Apache spirit dancers)
Kachinas
welding mask
dive mask
ski mask

> REASONS FOR:

become a spirit (this from the perspective of my Indian students)
ceremonies
power (certain American and African tribes' shamans/priests/medicine men
gain power through the wearing of certain masks)

Maggie