Re: Art activities to teach other cultures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kurt Hasselman (kprs)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 09:20:18 -0400

On Folk Art and recycled materials....maybe my students see things differently
because the moment they walk in the art studio (my public highschool art room),
they are 'trained' that the message is the thing, and the medium is the way to
express yourself, and that materials are what's available to you and your
abilities.....a "poorly"(and that word is used as an example, because there
could a whole debate on who puts 'value' on the carving) carved sculpture on the
loss of a child should move the viewer as much as a the Pieta by Michaelangelo,
if the message is the "thing". Not all artists have the marble available (or
Michaelangelo's ability for that matter) in their countries, or urban back
yards, or country houses, but may have a need to express themselves about the
"loss" of a child.

San D