Re: Art activities to teach other cultures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Wendy Manning (wmanning)
Fri, 09 Oct 1998 18:02:25 -0300

Collier Family wrote:

> why do the African people create masks, are they art, or do they have
> >

> Dear Amanda,
> African people traditionally do not create art for arts sake.
> Everything has a function. Sometimes the rationalisation would be "my
> ancestors told me to do this'" and as such the piece would have a
> function, namely, complying with said ancestors wishes.
> In fact, traditional Africans are quite scornful of "art".
>
> Tracey in darkest Africa

That's a pretty sweeping generalization, isn't it? I mean, we're
talking about an entire continent here, with more than 50 different
countries.
In Nigeria alone, where I lived and taught for two years, there is a
rich diversity of cultures, traditions and attitudes, and I saw plenty of
evidence of an appreciation for aesthetics and the beauty of design for
its own sake.

Wendy.