Re: Art activities to teach other cultures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 20:09:28 -0500

Maahmaah wrote:

> How do you rationalize teaching kids about other
> cultures using materials that are very far removed from the actual art or
> craft of that culture? Using pizza cardboard and brown paper for shields or
> milk jugs for African masks, etc.

Here are just 3 reasons - I'm sure there are others!

Reason #1: Children's art making experiences, and the resulting
products, are not intended to be "real" cultural objects or authentic
cultural experiences, but aids to help students:
understand art elements and principles
develop skills in a variety of art making techniques
recognize and appreciate artistic conventions of particular cultures
understand how culture groups created similar products
understand the historical and social context in which such objects
were created
recognize and appreciate similarities and differences in the basic
needs of people of diverse cultures...
...etc.

Reason #2: Artists/craftspersons have always used materials at hand - in
most cases that's what we are doing. Better than that, we are recycling!

Reason #3: Using authentic materials is important within the authentic
culture but neither affordable or necessary for school children's art
experiences.

Linda
Livonia MI