A&E.A (fwd)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharolyn Benfell (benfell)
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 20:14:57 -0700 (MST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 17:15:55 -0700 (MST)
From: Sharolyn Benfell <benfell>
To: artsednet
Cc: benfell,
egarber
Subject: A&E.A

I particularly liked the lesson from Pickering Elementary School. I was
intrigued by the idea of expanding the children's appreciation of their
own backyards, combining writing with images, and linking the children
with adult artists.
The life centered issue I see in this lesson is to open your eyes to
what is right around you. Learning that ecology is your own back yard is
a good ecology lesson. And being involved in an effort that benefits and
activates community is a good community lesson. A lesson to learn about
art is that it can be used to benefit and create community.
If I were using this in an elementary level classroom here, I would
add Native American and Hispanic cultural elements and I would add a
section on being safety conscious in our desert environment.
Earth science/geology would be a good subject area to combine with
this in our area because of the proximity of the mountains.