Re: Heidelberg project

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Susan Briggs (susanbriggs)
6 Oct 98 22:43:22 EDT

------NetAddressPart-01--=_cJgcrw0ca41ab3718f

Hi! I am teaching in Dearborn which is about 20 minutes from the
Heidelberg project. During student teaching in Ann Arbor, we took around
350-400 high schoolers to the project and then I did a 3-d shadow box type
of lesson with my classes based on a social issue of their choice and
found objects. They were really great and helped some of them work
through some pretty tough stuff. By the way, my 'social issue' and
example for them was how art should be the fourth 'R' and included as an
equal into all curriculums. Reading, writing, arithmetic and ART!!!

owner-artsednet.edu wrote:
lindacharlie wrote:

> Perhaps as a group we could
> come up with some ways to make art more meaningful for this inner city
> group. Maybe they find it hard to relate to a bunch of dead white guys'
> art. Take a look at this website for a start on this:
> http://www.heidelberg.org/
> The Heidelberg Project is embroiled in a controversy I'd bet these kids
> would find interesting.

A great example to use! It would certainly challenge any student's idea
of what art is or is "supposed" to be.

> 2. ...perish the thought that art should be done away with as a school
> subject! Instead, art should become a core subject.

I wholeheartedly agree. But how do we justify it for a bunch of kids on
the brink of self-destruction, when so many of their most basic needs
aren't being met? Thankfully, Jill's school district thinks it's
worthwhile.

> Linda the newbie from
> Livonia/Monroe MI, who would love to see all your faces in D.C. and I
> don't care what you are wearing.

See you there. I'll be in a black leather jacket with matching Birks.

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1

------NetAddressPart-01--=_cJgcrw0ca41ab3718f

------NetAddressPart-02--=_cJgcrw0ca42117f389

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com ------NetAddressPart-02--=_cJgcrw0ca42117f389 Content-Type: image/gif Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-ID: <03=_$cJgcrw0ca4$-5af09eaa> ------NetAddressPart-02--=_cJgcrw0ca42117f389-- ------NetAddressPart-01--=_cJgcrw0ca41ab3718f--