Re: The value of art? warning: long answer

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:33:58 -0700

lindacharlie wrote:

> Perhaps as a group we could
> come up with some ways to make art more meaningful for this inner city
> group. Maybe they find it hard to relate to a bunch of dead white guys'
> art. Take a look at this website for a start on this:
> http://www.heidelberg.org/
> The Heidelberg Project is embroiled in a controversy I'd bet these kids
> would find interesting.

A great example to use! It would certainly challenge any student's idea
of what art is or is "supposed" to be.

> 2. ...perish the thought that art should be done away with as a school
> subject! Instead, art should become a core subject.

I wholeheartedly agree. But how do we justify it for a bunch of kids on
the brink of self-destruction, when so many of their most basic needs
aren't being met? Thankfully, Jill's school district thinks it's
worthwhile.

> Linda the newbie from
> Livonia/Monroe MI, who would love to see all your faces in D.C. and I
> don't care what you are wearing.

See you there. I'll be in a black leather jacket with matching Birks.

Maggie