Macrame -again

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:53:02 -0500

--------------E4B0F64099207C49CDA56C76

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:33:26 -0500
From: gregjuli
To: artsednet
Subject: Macrame -again

Hi all,
I know we discussed macramé not too long ago ( was it this summer?).
But after presenting it to my 6th graders today ( they got a simple
square knot lesson and how to add beads towards end of their 6 week art
stint) I'm just always amazed how they just go nuts over this unit.
Every kid I have whether regular ed. or a special needs can do it (
although some better than others). There motivation is incredible! The
positive comments were flying left and right.
So what am I getting at? If you haven't tried it, think about. Hey
Blues, maybe this would work for your kids in Chicago. All you need to
do is teach how to do a square knot. Of course I give them the intro
stuff about fibers in art, and who else uses these knots and show
examples of things made from macramé. If one wants to spend more time ,
you could also get into the cultural aspect of it. I also encourage
them to go to the library to check out the macramé books.
Well just had to write about it. I'm on a teacher's high. Don't you
just love days like that?

MaryB -where it is getting colder and the Wisconsin trees are looking
prettier everyday!

--------------E4B0F64099207C49CDA56C76--