Fwd: A&E.A

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
DraigMerch
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 03:49:18 EDT

--part0_907660159_boundary

From: DraigMerch
To: artsednet
Cc: DraigMerch, egarber
Subject: A&E.A
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 21:44:12 EDT

Topic: Contemporary Ecological Art, Community Ecological Issues, and
Interdisciplinary Approaches to Curriculum

Inquiry Questions and responses:
1) How can we involve kids in the art of their community that has a tie to the
environment? One suggestion I have is to do a lesson based on Andy
Goldsworthy's Earthworks. We can take students out into an ecological area in
their community and create temporary art. Then photograph their art to make
it last forever. This lesson would tie together a type of artwork, an artist,
photography, the environment and their imaginations.

2) How do artists and educators understand the contemporary ecological art?
Contemporary ecological art to me is taking ecological issues and problems in
the world and basing an art project on those issues. It could be anything
from doing a class mural about littering to writing a poem based on the
extinction of an animal.

3) How has your community addressed ecological issues, traditionally and in
recent times?
Originally being from Long Island, NY a majority of our ecological issues
deal with the surrounding ocean and its habitants. We have beach clean up
day, observe horseshoe crab mating, and assistant in the beaching of animals.

--part0_907660159_boundary--