Fwd: A&E.A

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
DraigMerch
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 03:48:50 EDT

--part0_907660130_boundary

From: DraigMerch
To: artsednet
Cc: egarber, DraigMerch
Subject: A&E.A
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 12:05:47 EDT

The Pickerington Elementary School teacher story has a great connection with
the environment concerns in their community.
This lesson teaches students not only to get involved with their environment
through art, but with artists across the US. This lesson not only gives the
students a chance to hear about environment issues, but it lets them
physically get involved. The students that are a part of this activity learn
to make ceramic tile, write poetry, and decorate containers based on what they
learned from the environment.
If I were to do this one day here in Arizona it would also be with elementary
students. In Arizona the environment that I would use would be Sabino Canyon.
The reason I would use this area is because most of the beautiful picnic areas
were once parking lots. The oil and waste from the cars were dumped into the
small creek causing a lot of pollution. Now it is mostly clean and I want the
students to work in keeping it that way. They could do a poster contest, a
mural at the Sabino Canyon Information center (if permission is granted). I
would like the assignments though based on other cultures, so they are
learning about the natural community and our social community.

--part0_907660130_boundary--