Re: Out on a limb

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Mon, 05 Oct 1998 19:28:42 -0700

Savannah97 wrote:

> This week-end I saw the Picasso show in L.A. I left feeling like the boy felt
> in the story " The Emperor's New Clothes". I was wondering, is there anyone
> else out there that doesn't like Picasso's work? I appreciate his
> contributions to art. I think I have an understanding of what he was doing.
> If his art is meant to disturb me then he succeeded in doing so. At times I
> felt that the comentary was just reaching for symbolism. There was so much
> analysis and comparison. Maybe Picasso wasn't REALLY putting that much mumbo
> jumbo into his work? Maybe he was just having a good time. He said as a
> child he drew like Rembrandt and it took him a lifetime to draw like a child.
> I think he painted like a distrubed child.

The fact that you took the time to visit the show to add to your previous
knowledge about Picasso demonstrates that you are not the knee-jerk sort
of critic we've been discussing in another thread ("my five year old
could do that"). You're intelligent enough to acknowledge Picasso's
contribution to art. You don't have to like him.

I think you're right on about the commentary. Museums often seem to
overdo the labels nowadays. It's gotten hard to just go and enjoy the
work; compulsive me has to read all that stuff ad nauseum...No doubt a
lot of the commentary you read _is overly analytical. I like to think
Picasso was indeed just having fun.

FWIW (for what's it's worth, for you newbies), I find Frieda Kahlo's work
rather repulsive.

Maggie