Re: architecture lessons

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
PAUL J DILLON (ARTTREK)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 19:47:31 -0000

Hi Jill

I also teach elementary school art. We had a 3 - 4 week unit last year on
Architecture. I introduced the unit by reading a Children' s Press book "I
Can Be An Architect" and showed the kids blue prints and distiguished
between a floor plan, cross section, and elevation. The Architecture in
Education site - http://whyy.org/aie has a good visual to show this -
cutting an apple different ways to show cross section etc. I also had a
book of cross section houses called "Need a house, call Ms. Mouse" kids
book, but out of print. I also had some other books and visuals. On the 2nd
week we did the following
Grade 1 - The Old Woman and the Shoe (nursery rhyme), kids cut out a
folded tagboard shoe and illustrated (as architects) what she should have
inside (cross section) and outside (elevation) of her shoe.
Grade 2 - learned about F L Wright and did a Coonley window focusing on
the simple geometric shapes he used. 2nd grade studies American Artists
during the year.
Grade 3 - studied castles (since their curric. focus is Renaissance and
Medievil era) and did castles as a tagboard ring - the courtyard on the
inside, illustrating cross section and elevation.
Grade 4 and 5 - did a simulation activity where they were given a
hypothetical architectural client to design a space for. They worked in
groups to develop the floor plan, cross section, and elevation. I assigned
the "client"
Other lessons......
Grade 1 -" My room" dioramas with a folded tagboard upright for two walls
Grade 2 - elevations of houses made from carpet samples, formica samples,
wallpaper etc.
Grade 3 - clay Gargoyles
Grade 4 - line drawings (elevations) of Victorian Houses - they study
Impressionist artists for the year
Grade 5 - BG 2098 - designing our school for the new millenium.

As a follow up this year we started the year with a unit on Frank LLoyd
Wright across grade level building on what we learned last year.
Hope this helps

Sally
ARTTREK