one funny story after another..joy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
SOKERO
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 20:47:41 EDT

While reading in the claylist I came across this message, which put a story
in my head, and I have to share my response with my art teaching colleagues

The claylist message.......

In a message dated 9/29/98 6:04:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
Joanna writes:

> we don't need lots of detail because we're looking at casting side
> of torso from thigh through hip, some tush, waist, breast, ending
> somewhere at the shoulder. will these plaster bandages work for
> that because some of my body parts instinctively get nervous
> thinking about too much heat and/or tearing away of plaster?
>
> thanks all for the good ideas. we might actually get this project off
> the ground!
>
> joanna

Use plenty of Vaseline. Body hair needs to be very well coated if you wish to
remain connected to it. Do not trust teenagers to apply enough Vaseline to
the beards of their school administrators. Do not depend on said teenagers to
help detach said school administrator, beard & plaster mold. All three
components separate. Somehow the teenager's dim survival instincts kick in and
they bug out when the hair starts tearing outta the face. Large amounts of
body hair connected to the plaster mold can be removed with a candle or
lighter. Teenagers all have lighters in their pockets.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Joy in Tucson

And my response to the claylist :

I rolled with laughter when I read your comments on body casting and students.
It brought to mind the time I was teaching crafts, in too small a room, at the
local high school, fifteen years ago. I had shellac in a plastic gallon jar,
on a drawing table, behind my desk--murals were part of advanced art classes
requirements and we use to coat the tempera murals with many coats of shellac.
The craft students were putting the finishing touches on their paper mache
sculptures........My long hair was unbound and down to my waist. I had my
jacket, with 5 years of embroidery hanging from the back of my chair and as we
were doing individual critiques, one person hit the corner of the drawing
table which launched the shellac which soaked my hair to the line of the back
of my chair......At that point, I had one quart of shellac cleaner left and
the shop teachers, 3 floors and a wing away had a pint. I sure was happy that
lunch came next. The students learned about being prepared and CAREFUL from
that lesson. It also took another gallon of remover to get most of it out of
my jacket------and a trip to the drycleaners with a note, still left some
stiffness [in the jacket] to this day.

Joy at the beginning of the Erie Canal