Art Hazards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Henneborn (heneborn)
Sat, 03 Oct 1998 16:42:28 -0600

Reference:
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 11:16:05 +0000
From: "Lisa R. Harman" <lharman>
Subject: Art Hazards

http://artswire.org:70/1/csa/
Center for the Safety in the Arts
A very strong advocacy group dedicated to informing the profession and
lobbying for change.

On a personal note they are the people who, in the mid '70s helped me
discover what was making me very ill(heavy metal toxicity), and guided
me through diagnosis, treatment, and prevention .

Before DEP brought us Right-to-Know the center had a strong educational
program. Following their guidance I rid my art room of all questionable
materials. I was labeled a CRACK and even put on probation for refusing
to use certain materials. I had to prove that I could have an excellent
program inspite of limiting materials to those considered safe.

With the legislators chipping away at OSHA we need to keep the center
strong. Visit their web site. They are a very dedicated and
knowledgeable group. When I taught middle school, back when labeling
laws weak, my students and I could call them and ask for information.
I feel like I owe them my career and my health!

Sharon Henneborn
Alive and working in NJ