Re: Expressing War & Peace through art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 23:11:37 -0400

Hi --
I've been trying to find out more about Character Counts, and found the
website @www.charactercounts.org wouldn't you know. What I think I know is
that an institute sponsored a study about what would encourage young people
to adopt some basic ethical values as ground rules for life. They are
referred to as the 6 pillars of character : trustworthiness, respect,
responsibility, fairness, caring, & citizenship. In our elementary school
we've had schoolwide days aimed at respect and kindness, but it's been kind
of hit and miss. That's why I was asking if any of you have worked with
this or a similar program to help the kids make better choices throughout
their school days. I think we, in the art rooms, have established enough
of an atmosphere of respect so we don't experience as many problems along
this line (at least in the elem level, I'm not as familiar with the older
kids and their attitudes and actions). I am hoping that there really is a
"magic bullet" to help all kids be of good character in all aspects of
their lives!
Still interested in anyone's experiences or opinions on this! Thanks
Liz in rural NY