Re: art therapy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bryan (rekcets)
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:32:50 -0800

sara oneill wrote:

> Hi Chad,
> My name is Sara and I am a senior at SUNY New Paltz, in New York. I read
> your brief message from you and Jennifer and noticed you work with an
> autistic child. I too, work with people with mental retardation or autism.
> What really caught my eye though was your interest in Art Therapy. I am very
> interested in this kind of field and perhaps might go to Grad school for
> that after I receive my teaching degree. Not many people have heard of it,
> if you have any info about where a good school for art therapy is or any
> info at all please let me know. Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.
> -Sara

Sara:

There are many schools that offer graduate programs in Art Therapy.
Living in New York state you most likely have a local chapter of the
national art therapy association. They can be a big help. I believe
Columbia University had the first program in Art Therpy. Margaret
Naumberg started it in the sixties or seventies. Pratt Institute had one
years ago and Leslie College in Boston has one. There are many, many
more. The only area of the United States that seems to be light in
schools and positions is the Northwest (where I live).
Be sure to look into job posibilities in the state you would like to
live in. I recently dropped out of a graduate program in Art Therapy
because the job possibilities were very poor in Oregon, and I don't want
to move. It is a facinating area of study. Good Luck!

Anne Stecker