Re: Paper Mache!!!!!!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 22:22:28 -0800

Robben1713 wrote:

<snip>
> I haven't made preschool safe paper mache since I was in
> 7th grade....Can anyone tell me hiow much flour, water and glue I have to mix
> together?

Jessica,

I use just flour and water and it makes an incredibly hard surface when it dries. I
start with 3 heaping spoonfuls of flour in a large pan with low sides, then add a small
amount of water at a time, mixing it thoroughly and squishing out lumps with the back of
a spoon before adding more water. It's just like making pancake batter, and we use that
consistency.

Dip the torn paper strip into the batter, making sure both sides are coated, then pull
the strip lightly between two fingers to remove the excess. Don't squeegee off too
much, or you'll remove the paste.

Depending on what you're making, I suggest laying a horizontal layer--overlapping the
strips slightly--a vertical layer, and then another horizontal. Let that dry overnight;
if you use a lot of layers in one session, it takes a long time to dry and the piece
might be too soggy to hold its shape. If the paper won't lay flat on a curved surface,
you can tear small perpendicular lines into the bubbled up parts, then smooth them down.
You can add more layers the next day if you like.

Wipe the pan out with a paper towel before cleaning it in the sink--don't pour it down
your sink!

Hope this helps. Yipes, you're braver than I, taking on preschoolers!

Maggie**remove x in address to reply