Re: censorship

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Judith Auslander (judith)
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 17:28:30 -0700

I think that you can do just as you stated, make rules for YOUR
classroom. If you do not approve of the use of gang related symbols or
witchcraft, then that should be your rules. I believe that kids want
guidelines and will test you as far as possible to see if you have
guidelines. If a student has a really good reason for using such
symbols, I'd be willing to listen to their reason as to why, discuss it
with peers, and than let them know the answer. I would not allow myself
to be put on the spot at all. You will come across parents who will
find any use of symbols (magical or otherwise) as offensive. It's up to
you to set the guidelines for your classroom and have a practiced speech
as to why these are your classroom rules so that any parent or student
who questions you will receive a prompt, logical answer. When put on
the spot we often feel at a lost for words. Judith