Re: teaching abroad

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:11:10 +0300

For those of you who have expressed an interest in teaching art
overseas, I am forwarding these contacts to the entire listserve.

The European Council of International Schools, Inc.

There are three recruiting fairs they conduct:
Vancouver, Canada on 16-19 February
London, England on 5-8 February
Melbourne, Australia (sorry, didn't write down the Feb. dates)

contact Jim McKay, Executive Officer
European Council of International Schools, Inc.
21 Lavart St.
Petersfield, Hants
GU32, 3 EC, United Kingdom
Europe

Their poster boasted 94% of the teachers that found jobs had 2 or
more years of experience.

But there are several teachers here at IST who are in their first year of teaching..

An overseas recruiting body in the US outside of the ISS is the
University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls:

You need to send $5.00 for a registration package to:

Overseas Placement Service for Educators
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa
506-0390
(319) 273-2083

Finally, the service I was hired through is the International Schools
Services (ISS). The ISS places roughly 50% of overseas teachers in
"International Schools", which, I believe, is in schools that have
registered or sign up with ISS.

Typically, international administrators recruit through ISS, UNI, and
ECIS combined, and travel from one fair to another until they have
filled their vacancies. There are usually two rounds of fairs: one in
February and one in early June. The June recruiting fairs are fewer
and are either new vacancies that have come up unexpectedly or
were not filled at the previous fairs. I think in general, that the
best positions are filled at the earliest fairs.

There are many, many more "international" schools that may be
more locally based or are not registered with all three services.
In fact, there is another "international" school here in Dar es Salaam
that isn't even listed in ISS's International Schools Reference Book,
published by Peterson's and there is also one in Zanzibar that is
only listed in the ECIS reference book. If you want to register with
ISS and find out about their recruiting fairs, you can request that
information from ISS:

International Schools Services
P.O. Box 5910
Princeton, NJ 08543
(609) 452-0990
Fax: (609) 452-2690

Typically, you need to register early for these fairs, November or
early December.

Hope this helps in your search,

Regards,
Teresa Tipton