Re: artist as teacher vs. teacher

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:43:10 +0300

The line I use for this kind of experience is, "There are no mistakes
in art, there are only changes..."

Regards,
Teresa Tipton
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:32:42 +0000
From: Christine Merriam <ktwnldy.az.us>
To: Michelle Vidro <ggoose>
Cc: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: artist as teacher vs. teacher

Michelle Vidro wrote:

>I am an artist teaching art to my child's first grade class twice a >month.Yesterday during class the teacher scolded one of the students >for doing the project the "wrong" way.
------->snip

Hi Michelle,

There are many subjects where there is only one "Right" answer. Art
does not fit that category, as you know. I have taken the following
approach with some of my colleagues who are low on being flexible with
creativity...

I would ask the teacher to HELP you break the students habit of
thinking their is only one correct way to do the projects you are
doing with the students. I would NOT confront her or accuse her about
the behaviors you mentioned in your letter. Seems people can get alot
more from a subtle approach at times. Model the behavior for her with
the kids... tell them that yes, artists do make mistakes, and the
creative solution of mistakes is one of the neatest things about being
an artist. I even go as far as telling the kids that this is not math
class... and 2 plust 2 might not equal 4 when you are a creative
person.

The kids are lucky to have your help! Wish more parents could
volunteer like you are.

Good Luck!
Chris Merriam
Kayenta Intermediate Art.