A&E: Taking Kids Outside

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mary Sheridan (sheridan.23)
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:11:24 -0400 (EDT)

Graciela Kumar wrote:

>When I think about how we can get kids involved in the art of their
>community that has a tie to their environment, I believe that the first
>thing we need to do is introduce art to children from a very early age.
>Then, we must teach them the meaning of environment. Once they know what
>these are, then they will start to think about these issues. A good way
>to involve kids would be to take them on a field trip of a park or just
>take them on a walk to talk about the environment.

Have you read Rachel Carson's "The Sense of Wonder"? Inspired by her
grandnephew, Roger Christie, this essay was originally published in
"Woman's Home Companion" under the title "Help Your Child to Wonder". The
text was published as an illustrated book following Carson's death in 1964.
A new illustrated edition of this classic work has been published by The
Nature Company and is available in their store. It is a classic,
compelling argument for your issue.

Rachel Carson is best known for "Silent Spring", a brave and masterful
attack on the killing effects of DDT and other pesticides that changed
views and use of evironmental toxins. The work set in mothion
investigations that resulted in a ban on DDT and other pesticides, and
provided the impetus for creation of the Environmental Protection Agency in
1970.

Mary Sheridan