Re: Tona rituals

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 22:12:07 -0500

Dear Lorena,

I did find something about Tona rituals in the book:

MASK ARTS OF MEXICO, Ruth D. Lechuga, ChloŽ Sayer, Chronicle Books, San
Francisco, 1995, pp. 48.

It begins Chapter 3, DOMINION OF THE ANIMALS with:

"In Mexico, according to popular belief, each man and woman shares a
common destiny with an animal counterpart. If someone is without food, the
animal will go hungry; if the animal suffers injury, the human being will
become ill; if the animal is killed, the human being will die. Tona (also
Tono) is the term for this animal guardian or soul companion.
Before the Conquest each deity also had a tona. Tezcatlipoca, the
'Smoking Mirror,' was a very important god in Aztec cosmogony. Nocturnal
and invisible, he was represented by an obsidian mirror. He could bestow
riches and good fortune or withhold them at whim. His tona was a jaguar,
popularly known throughout modern Mexico as the tigre (tiger). This may be
why the tigre is the most revered and feared of animals."

Then it went on to talk about numerous other tonas, and about the dance of
los tejorones where these tona masks were aparently worn. Perhaps los
tejorones is familiar? Thanks so much for your research!

Mark