[Fwd: SCRIBBLING/SCRATCHING

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Beeching (robprod)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:15:32 -0700

--------------6B3BDB3783CF37885B14EB39

--
MZ

--------------6B3BDB3783CF37885B14EB39 Content-Type: message/rfc822 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Content-Disposition: inline

Thanks Donna for your observations on "scribbling." Continuing the dialogue:

Q. "Why does a twenty-one year old college student still draw like an "untutored" kindergartner?"

Five-year-olds learn to play the piano, and learn ballet. My artist-father taught his five-year-old son to "draw what you see, not what you remember." I have taught hundreds of five-year-olds to draw, paint, and to construct without inhibiting them. In fact, they were amazed to learn that they didn't have to scribble before getting an image. Like Educational Psychologists, many Early Childhood learning advocates (who incidentlally) never learned to draw, paint or construct, haven't a clue as to the capabilities of their charges, and are not qualified to pass judgement on a subject out of their range of experience. Random "scribbling and scratching" is a begining for a search for order which persists throughout adulthood until it is corrected. I am not talking about "intentional" scribbling technques used in "gesture" drawing, but the unconscious hand movements people use to warm-up hoping that one of the scribbles or scratches may become the "right" line in a drawing.

"CHILDREN and ART" is a video production and text which I am currently producing which gives evidence to these statements shot directly in classrooms over a period of 30 years. Penmanship and Drawing go hand-in-hand. Neither of which are currently being taught successfully. Like Sports, Drawing takes continuous practice and time which is not afforded in the lower grades. Most students who draw well (the class artists) are those who have been consistently drawing what they see! We teach "eye-hand" coordination skills (cuttiiing with scissors) in kindergarted without inhibition. The reason why most elementary teachers do not teach drawing is because they themselves have never been taught to draw. The same goes for Science, Math, Music, Dance, and Drama. 43% of American elementary school age children test at the bottom of the ladder in these subjects - why? -----------------------------------------------------rb

--
MZ

--------------6B3BDB3783CF37885B14EB39--

  • Reply: redhen: "Re: Fwd: SCRIBBLING"