Re: Making African Masks

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Judith Auslander (judith)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:34:53 -0700

Thank you Teresa. You say it so much better than I. Here you are
living in Africa. What do your students think of the idea of us "white"
folks here in the States creating our own, personal version of a mask or
other art form not traditionally ours? Do they find it horrid, or are
they pleased that we find their art so interesting that we would want to
emulate it? Sure there will be those who say, "This is our art - not
yours." But I would imagine that most would find the imitation
flattery. Isn't mimicry the highest form of flattery? Judith