Re: A&E.A

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 06:40:14 +0300

Gina Clark's post reminds me of my earlier initiative to link local
schools with schools in the US or abroad for art exchanges. I just
participated in a local arts exhibit sponsored by the United Nations
Development Program with students ages 5-18 from 11 primary and
secondary schools in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The students were given
art materials to visually depict the theme, "The UN, Youth, Poverty,
and the Environment." Deforestation is a pressing issue here, part of
a cycle of poverty that cannot be eradicated without participation of
all people, and a change of the attitudes and lifestyle practices of
the young. Currently, most people in Tanzania still cook with wood
over an open flame.

119 students created a number of stunning paintings and drawings,
most of which have a message translated into English from the
Kiswahili. During the awards ceremony, I announced the interest
several of you have communicated to me with, in creating arts
and letter writing exchanges between local Tanzanian students
and international students (currently the U.S.). Several schools
and local teachers are enthusiastic about this project and have agreed to participate.

We have a body of work from the exhibit that can be sent to schools
as an exchange but we would like to post it on the Internet first as
an on-line art exhibit. We have scanners, the software, and one
computer with Internet access but no web site to house the work on.
Is anyone out there interested in collaborating with me to help
realize this vision of publishing the local Tanzanian student art
work on the Internet?

There was a representative from the Ministry of Culture at the
opening and the UNDP representative who are both interested in using
this initial project as part of the impetus for creating a local
internet site for school children to correspond with students around
the world. We hope that this will help.

There are also many local Tanzanian artists for Gina's type of
exchange.

I appreciate your ideas and interest on the above.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton