Re: Maya Lin reply

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 05:53:19 +0300

The name of the video is "MAYA LIN - A STRONG CLEAR VISION"

Regards,
Teresa Tipton

From: Stubby4B
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 06:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
To: artsednet.edu
Cc: TMorales
Subject: Maya Lin reply

In a message dated 97-10-15 13:08:54 EDT, Tmorales writes:

<< I think you miss the point. The travelling Wall is, as is the Wall in
D.C., a
symbol to honor all of the men and women who lost their lives in VietNam
for America. This symbol, even though the design is not much
appreciated by some, is powerful and has great meaning for Veterans
and anyone else who has pride and respect for what these individuals
did for those of us who did not go. >>

Ah, don't misunderstand me (and perhaps you don't..) but I feel that Maya
Lin's monument is one of the most powerful pieces of sculpture I have ever
witnessed. I have made several pilgrimages to see it, and have been moved to
tears each time. I have even traveled all the way to Montgomery to see her
other work, the Civil Rights Memorial - one of two points I wanted to see as
I drove across the country last summer. Her seminal design shifted indelibly
the direction of war memorials across the globe. It is, to me, a powerful
statement of the ability of art to affect the way we think.

What, to me, is a joke, is the idea of a "mini" monument that travels to
shopping malls and parks. It is an aesthetic abomination. I am reminded of
the passage in Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, where The Little
Prince speaks of the water he drinks from the well, and how it tastes of his
entire journey, of the stars overhead, and of all the moments up to that
point. To be able to make the trek to Washington, with all the difficulties
it may impose, is part of the experience of seeing The Wall. Can it be done
by all, including disabled vets? No. But that is life. A miniature
monument is an insult to the artist's design, and a dilution of the impact of
the artist's original intention. That is what I meant. You may have
misunderstood, but those are my feelings.

To the other writer who asked the name of the video. I hate to say, but I
don't remember. And I was just depressed to find out that my local
library,where I found it, has packed up all their videos for (gasp!) six
months while they renovate!!!

Duffy Franco
Norwalk, CT

P.S. Wait! Someone (I just deleted them... oops!) came through - the video
is called "A Strong, Clear, Vision", and, again, it won the Academy Award for
best documentary in 1995(?).

P.P.S. Hope this message wasn't posted twice - I never saw it so I re-sent
it.