Re: Totem Poles

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Judith Auslander (judith)
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 14:03:51 -0700

Debbie, maybe we aren't able to make "Real" African masks, but couldn't
kids have the pleasure of creating their own mask. It doesn't have to
be called an African mask, but rather, a mask that speaks to them about
something important in their life. Why should they miss the opportunity
and the fun and the learning experience of making an African style mask
just because they are not African. We need to take the art of other
cultures and learn from, even adapt them so they mean something to us.
At least this is the way I feel. You are of course welcome to
disagree. judith