Re: Leaves and trees

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 22:11:10 -0500

Neal,

You can collect leaves, then press them into medallions of clay. Poke two
holes into the top edge for string. Fire them (or use Model Magic or an air
hardening clay) then paint them. The shapes and textures make really cool
necklaces.

You can use the side of crayons to do rubbings of leaves on white paper.
Overlap as many as you can get them to do. Fill the page. Then cover the
whole page in a watercolor wash for a wax resist of the textures.

You can show them how to mix primary colors into secondary colors. Give
them Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Black tempera paint, to make a still-life
painting of orange leaves and pumpkins, green leaves and squash, violet
leaves and gourds.

You can make a huge tree trunk out of kraft paper and attach it to the
wall. Have the students repeatedly trace their hands on different colored
construction paper and cut them out. Attach a hundred or more of these hand
'leaves' to the tree.

The rest I'll leave to you. Have fun.

Mark

Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art