Re: artsednet-digest V2 #408

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
elizabeth garber (egarber)
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 13:51:49 -0700 (MST)

Cathy,

When you bring up change in Arizona desert, I can't help but think about
all the battles currently raging about scraping the desert for new
developments. The hot one currently, as you know, is the proposed new high
school on land that is also occupied by the endangered spotted owl.

Change is part of any ecological system (as it is a part of culture).
Change such as the disruption of habitat for more developments is, of
course, not natural change.

I like Middleton & Liittschwager's approach to photographing all things big
and small, beautiful and unnoticeable to us (the desert grub was a great
example). How can we get these pictures to a wider public? What other art
can augment their message?

Greeningly,
Elizabeth Garber

>Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:19:41 -0700 (MST)
>From: Cathleen D Lane <cdlane>
>Subject: A&E.A
>
>Dear fellow Artsednetters:
>
>Greetings from the Arizona desert. I have been browsing the Art & Ecology
>Web site for the last few days and am intrigued by the article by
>Elizabeth Garber about the photographs that were done by Susan Middleton
>and David Liittschwager. They have taken photos of probably zillions of
>species that are in danger of becoming extinct, including the cute and
>charismatic North American otter, as well as species that are not so
>cutesy. With the skill of a photographer and the eye of an artist they
>can make even the desert grub worm assume value, personality, uniqueness.
>Why, the viewer may even find herself/himself saying aloud, "See how
>fearfully and wonderfully this grub worm is made!"
>
>I focus on the desert grub worm, because it is not a creature we see
>unless we go out with spade in hand and work the soil for awhile. But
>every day, contractors, in every part of the city of Tucson, and in other
>cities in Arizona where there is on-going and rapid growth, are leveling
>the ground and preparing it for commercial and residential development.
>
>Elizabeth Garber notes that change is an ever present theme. Change is
>one part of the ecosystem can mean disruption of the whole system because
>species are locked into symbiotic relationships. That sort of change can
>mean that entire ecsosystems disappear. What about the organic species
>that are literally "erased" when large scale construction takes over? My
>question is: How can photos of the not-so-cute, but endangered desert
>species be used to restore or preserve the ecosystems that construction
>sites are destroying?
>
>Are there any folks with ideas, thoughts, suggestions, comments, or words
>of wisdom on this issue?
>
>>From a green Artsednetter,
>
>Cathy Lane

Elizabeth Garber, Ph.D. office phone: 520.621.9304
Associate Professor of Art fax: 520.621.2955
University of Arizona email: egarber
Department of Art, PO 210002 home phone: 520.740.1529

Tucson, AZ 85721.0002
USA