Re: Totem poles

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bryan (rekcets)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 03:07:42 -0700

Mark Alexander wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> My third grade is studying the northwest indians, and I've been asked by
> their classroom teacher to participate. Do any of you have background
> information on totem poles? I envision looking at reproductions of totems,
> then discussing the images, the symbolism, and the cultures. I'm also
> looking for ideas for how to make totem poles. I'd like them to use the
> totem pole format to illustrate or symbolize their own cultures.
>
> Suggestions are welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> Mark Alexander
> 1-8 Art on the Cart
> Lee H. Kellogg School
> Falls Village, Connecticut 06031
> U.S.A.
>
> "The object of education is to
> prepare the young to
> educate themselves
> throughout their lives."
> Robert Hutch

Mark -

Use the cardboard containers that Baskin Robbins uses for ice cream. I
have gotten them donated in the past. Stack with good old duck tape
holding them together. You might weight the bottom. You can add scored
paper masks for the individual sculptures, or paper mache. Have small
groups work on each sculpture and then put them together. You can make
it almost life sized.

Good Luck!

Anne Stecker
Salem, OR