Re Monotypes and Monoprints

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
James Nairne (james.n-way.co.uk)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:31:52 +0000

Melissa Enderle <enderlml.wi.us> wrote:

> Yes, the terms monotypes and monoprints are often misused and misunderstood. A monotype artist myself, I am sure to
> make the distinction when others ask for the medium or call it a monoprint. Essentially, the differences between the two
> types lies in the plate surface on which the image is made. In monoprints, the unique print is pulled from a plate that
> already has an image incised into it. In contrast, a monotype is made on an unworked surface. The surface I work on is a
> plexiglass sheet.

I am afraid I'm guilty of misusing the meanings as you describe them. I
do a lot of monotypes/monoprints using all the methods you describe so
well. But How do Screen monoprints fit your definitions?
That is.... one-off prints produced using screen printing techniques?

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Monotypes are a specific sort of
mono-prints. Mono prints are prints produced as one-offs uneditioned...
but some web sites eg
http://members.aol.com/oilcolors/links.html#printmaking

talk about methods of registering multiple prints from monotypes!!

But hey do the names really matter... what maters is that students
print... and learn to enjoy the marks and accidental stuff that print
methods can create... and so use in their own creative output.

--
James Nairne

[james.n-way.co.uk] [http://schools.sys.uea.ac.uk/deepspace/jn/] [http://schools.sys.uea.ac.uk/schoolnet/bradfield/arts.htm]