Re: teaching abroad

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 03:34:30 +0300

There are teachers here at IST who were hired without any previous teaching
experience, so I wouldn't let the previous experience requirement
stop you. There are international recruiting fairs through the
University of Northern Iowa, as well as the ones run by ISS. There is
also an International service that runs fairs through Europe,
including London, and two other cities, that are not run by ISS.
If you need exact contact information, I will look it up for you -
there are two posters in the admin advertising the latest fairs.

When I was interested in teaching overseas, I was told by an
international arts consultant that you can also get jobs directly in
the area you are interested in teaching in. The drawback with this
approach where 1/2 of jobs are filled this way is that you are
considered a "local hire" and are usually paid less and don't have
the benefits like relocation allowance and housing stipends or
actual housing provided.

You can also utilize equivalencies of other experience for teaching
experience - i.e. artist-in-residencies, internships, volunteer
experience, consulting, and extensive student teaching if it's beyond one
semester. You calculate the amount of teaching it would be equivalent
to and put it down as experience.

Teresa Tipton
International School of Tanganyika
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania