Re: overseas teaching

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:06:20 -0700

faerie01 wrote:

> Thanks for your advice. I appreciated hearing that you were
> glad to have gotten experience here before teaching overseas...
> It just seems like now is the time to do such things... there seems to
> be such an emphasis put on getting tenure- expecially in the
> area I am student teaching in. Sometimes I'm led to believe
> that once you're in there, you can't leave to do something
> like teach abroad. Anyway, all that aside, your response made
> me see things in a different light. I still would like to
> pursue the idea of teaching abroad, but at the same time, I
> realize the benefits of teaching here!

I somehow missed the original post but get the gist from this response. Have you
considered teaching on a reservation? I have for 14 years and love it here; plus, it
would give you a really good idea of what it's like to live in a foreign country. I've
done a lot of traveling in Mexico, and that's what this place reminds me of: very
different culture/mores/language/values, somewhat isolated, and you can't drink the
water!

Christine M., you're on the rez north of me--don't you agree?

Maggie**remove x in address to reply (I HAVE gotten spammed as a result of posting here;
the artsednet address showed up in the spammer's headers--sorry for the inconvenience)