A & E: Misc reply

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
craig roland (rol1851.EDU)
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 20:51:16 -0500

I think it's great to see all the interest in social and ecological issues
being generated among prospective art teachers by the A&E program and
website. In an effort to help out a few of you in your search for
information, I offer the following suggestions:

There are two books which I've come across lately that survey the field of
art done "in the public interest" (which covers a wide range of topics that
have been recently mentioned in the flood of messages...ecology, social
restoration, etc.,)

1) Arlene Raven's "Art in the Public Interest" New York, Capo Press, 1993.

2.) Suzanne Lacy's "Mapping the Terrain ~ New Genre Public Art" Seattle,
WA: Bay Press, 1995.

If you're interested in this area, I urge you to look these two books up.
They'll provide a wealth of information as well as specific artists to
reference.

If they aren't in your library, you might surf to the "Art in the Public
Interest" website, and check out ordering information in their catalog.
The URL for this page is:

http://artswire.org/Community/highperf/api/apicatalog.html

Jennifer and Chad wrote:

>We've just signed on to ArtsEd Net today here at Ohio State.
>Currently we're exploring the issues of rape and domestic violence dealt
>with in art. We would greatly appreciate the guidance of anyone who
>could point us in the right direction of some images.

Look up Suzanne Lacy (performance artist) and in particular her massive
performance piece done in 1977 called "Three Weeks in May" which dealt with
the subject of rape in LA. She has documentation of another performance on
"Domestic Violence" online at:

http://netdreams.com/registry/lacy/more.html

Someone else wrote (sorry I didn't get the name before deleting the file):

>I am interested in land-form art and its effect on the environment. If
>anyone has a suggested artist and artwork, please send it to me.

Check out the crater work being done by James Turrell at:

http://www.segura.com/Turrell.html

Daisy wrote:

>This also reminded me of a news report I
>heard recently on alligators attacking people in Florida

Living in Florida, I hear about these attacks every once in awhile
(probably more often than most of you on this list) But so that people
elsewhere don't get the idea that this is a regular occurance, let me say
that you have a better chance being struck by lightening here in Florida
than by being attacked by an alligator. At least if you're human....it
happens more often with dogs and pets left to roam by lakes and rivers.
And just so you know, each time this happens and is reported in the
newspaper that the alligator was destroyed there is usually a flood of
letters in the local paper by people expressing outrage over the killing of
these indigenous creatures.

Just so people don't get the idea that we're all into killing off Florida
wildlife. And I don't want this to keep people from travelling to Florida
and spending their money (which helps our schools :>)

On a final note, I want to suggest that those of you searching for
socially-relevant art on the web, you might want to check out the links
page I set up for my class "Art and Community" which I'm teaching this Fall
at UF. The page is located at:

http://grove.ufl.edu/~rolandc/art&community/links.html

Hope this will help.

Craig

CRAIG ROLAND. Associate Professor-Art Education.
Department of Art, FAC 302, University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
32611-5801. (352) 392-9165 - Art Ed Office (352) 392-8453 - Fax
http://grove.ufl.edu/~rolandc/homepage.html
new email address: rolandc