Re: folkart

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Thu, 02 Oct 1997 08:39:36 -0700

W.NEWLAND wrote:

> Hi folks! I am developing a unit on Canadian and American folk art for my
> students (ages 6 -12) I am looking for art lessons that are based on various
> techniques and themes. Has any got any suggestions. Much appreciated..
> Janette Montreal, Quebec Canada

I once took an art workshop on Folk Art. And one of the things I came
away with was, there is a tremendous amount of folk art in your school's
neighborhood. Our professor had us take a camera (not any special
camera either) and document the art in our neighborhoods. Now keep in
mind that Folk Art is ANYTHING that a homeowner has decided to put in
his yard as an aesthetic decision on his part. So we documented
everything from pink flamingos, to religious statuary, to elaborate
scarecrows, halloween decorations etc. Not far from my house is a man
who puts humpty dumpty figures that he makes out of paper mache on his
wall infront of his house. These figures are changed, quite regularly,
and make political statements too. His work is no less impressive than
the famed Howard Finster's. So my suggestion is to go on a walking
field trip armed with a camera and see what you can find. When I went
up to my local folk artist (mr. Humpty) he was so excited that I
proclaimed him a "Folk Artist" that he took me into his workshop and
home, where he has magnificent wonderful odd pieces (he is working on an
alien series made out of clorox bottles, and christmas lights). He is
very serious, and a bit off, but WOW what a resource!!!!

San D