Re: Art of Aztecs, Incas, and Mayas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ruth Voyles (rvoyles)
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 22:22:01 -0500 (EST)

I know the Incas did exquisite inkle weaving. On an Inkle loom, one
weaves long narrow strips of fabric which can them be sewn together as
clothing, blankets, etc. Inkle weaving is a warp-faced weave, in other
it is the warp fibers that creates the design, as opposed to traditional or
tapestry weaving, which are weft-faced weaves, (the fibers used in the weft
create the design). The Incas did their weaving on backstrap looms,
which are simple to make and portable. The Indians in the mountains
there still use the backstrap loom and are noted for their textiles. If
you are interested in an inkle loom, Sax and Nasco both sell them.

About a year ago I saw an exhibition the excavation at Sipan, (also
Peru?) where the remains of a culture called the Moche were found.
In it were some examples of strips of fabric woven on a tapestry
loom. Tapestry weaving is very easy to learn and a tapestry loom
can be made very simple as well.

If you do use weaving as one of your activities, I would love to hear
about it.

Sincerely,
Ruth Voyles
Art Educator