Re: artsednet-digest V1 #378

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Wendy Fein (fein)
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 21:55:13 -0500

> From: Ticia Valentine <marval>
> Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 17:12:33 -0500
> Subject: Art of Aztecs, Incas, and Mayas
>
> Hello all you artsy people!
>
> I am trying to plan a lesson for fifth graders that integrates with
> a unit that my fifth graders are currently studying about the Aztecs, Incas,
> and the Mayas.

Tricia-

The Maya Art Classroom and Museum Activity Book is an EXCELLENT source
that should be of help to you. It is tied into archaeology and
artifacts. The editor is Ann H. Fuerst,phd and it is published by the
San Diego UF School District and the San Diego Museum of Man.
Copies are available for $27.50, plus 3.50 for postage, and 1.93 sales
tax for California residents, from Museum Shop, San Diego Museum of
Man, 1350 El Prado, San Diego, CA 92101. Phone = 619 239-2001, FAX =
619 239-2749 Many activities are written in English and Spanish.
Includes a bibliography by grade levels in English and Spanish,
listing of reproductions, videos
YES... I just found it, it includes a video called Comalapa: Traditions
and Textiles - VHS34722PS from Penn State - $19 rental fee 26 minutes
in color call 800 826-0132 or 814 865-6314 for preview or rental info.
catalog from penn state or reference call 800 826-0132 or 814 863-3104
although the video says for secondary students, you should have not
trouble using it with fifth graders. I teach grades 2-6 and have used
secondary material with little difficulty as long as I explain what will
be seen ahead of time and answer questions. Also, it is often necessary
to cut it short or skip over parts... you probably know how to do this.
There are a lot of hands-on art activities in this book as well as
reading and writing activities. The best part is that authentic Maya
works are studied by students and they learn about the reasons for the
design and styles employed by the Maya.
Hope this is helpful. If you need further info on the Maya, let me know
but this is all that i have time for tonight.
wendy fein
fein @ tribeca.ios.com