Re: artists and art education

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Roy Liebergen (rllieber)
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 14:55:57 -0500

tscanlin.edu wrote:

> Hello to all on the list,
> I'd like to pose a general question to the list. Were you an art
> education major in college/university? If so, were you "looked down" upon
> by other "serious" art majors -- those working on a BFA or MFA? Have you
> had instances of having college or university professors in studio areas,
> or "professional" artists stating opinions denigrating the art education
> degree or art education as it's generally perceived in the public schools?
>
> I read with interest Terry Barrett's questions and the responses
> from the lists about critique experiences. I wonder how many of you who
> responded were at the time of the critique, and were known to be by the
> professor, art education majors? Recently an art education graduate
> student at our college had occasion to be talking, in a social situation,
> to an instructor of art at a local university. The art education graduate
> student, who views her chosen career very seriously, was quite taken aback
> with the opinions voiced by the art professor about the value of art
> educators and art education. So, I'm just curious about other's views...
>
> Tommye Scanlin
> Professor of Art
> North Georiga College
> Dahlonega, GA 30597
Hello, I didn't have any of the troubles mentioned when I was getting my
art degree/teacher's license. Since then though, I have started my
masters degree and I chose a program that does not focus on art but on
what I see as my personal areas of weakness. I am always amazed when
people comment on the fact that I am an art teacher, that I am
interested in reading, math and science and other areas such as child
development. They also express amazement that I am quite "bright". It
makes me wonder if they are dismissing all art teachers in this way, and
it hurts me as well. Carol