Re: student independence

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bunki Kramer (bkramer.ca.us)
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 08:44:56 -0700

You wrote:

>Kit,
>I really must agree with you about the students' "anti-establishment"
>attitudes. I often remind my peers that it is really the "job" of the
>adolescent to rebell...that's the only way that they can learn or desire
>independence. And when kids come to class all fired up about some perceived
>injustice, I often can "disarm" then with the same observation...they often
>have to laugh at themselves. I think that educators often forget the
>complex creatures we are, and are dealing with! I for one enjoy the passion
>and energy that kids bring to my classroom, and try to find ways to channel
>that energy into expression, or problem solving on a higher level than basic
>anger (although their anger is a really good catalyst for change). Of
>course some of our best and brightest art students are the most vocal and
>rebellious! And thank goodness they have our discipline to find a voice
>and refuge in!
>
>Sandy
.............end message.........

Sandy....You wrote that sooooo beautifully! I'm going to make a copy of
your answer, frame it and put it on my desk!! We all need a kick in the
pants sometimes to remind us of the big picture when we get stressed!!
Thank you for the insight!!!!!!

Bunki Kramer
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road