Re: student independence

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 09:37:10 -0700

Sandra L. Eckert wrote:

> Kit,
> I really must agree with you about the students' "anti-establishment"
> attitudes. I often remind my peers that it is really the "job" of the
> adolescent to rebell...that's the only way that they can learn or desire
> independence. And when kids come to class all fired up about some perceived
> injustice, I often can "disarm" then with the same observation...they often
> have to laugh at themselves. I think that educators often forget the
> complex creatures we are, and are dealing with! I for one enjoy the passion
> and energy that kids bring to my classroom, and try to find ways to channel
> that energy into expression, or problem solving on a higher level than basic
> anger (although their anger is a really good catalyst for change). Of
> course some of our best and brightest art students are the most vocal and
> rebellious! And thank goodness they have our discipline to find a voice
> and refuge in!
>
> Sandy

Agree totally. I often tell my friends the same and that I enjoy
teaching the anarchists, because I have always been one. My "anarchist"
art students over the years have started the ecology club, established
themed art shows, put out alternative newspapers and lit magazines all
as answers to their biggest gripes and complaints about the
"establishment". I tell them that their is a special place in hell,
according to Dante for those fence sitters, and that if they are
passionate about something, there is a vehicle in our society set up for
answers and solutions. I NEVER emphasize the negatives, ie. school
sucks, a specific teacher sucks, etc etc etc, I always help them look
for the positives, i.e. if you can't get what you need from one teacher,
it is perhaps your personalities don't mesh, seek answers from another
teacher, don't let your knowledge suffer, etc etc. Also, humor, laughs,
groans and just plain silliness are good difffusing tactics. One year
(and believe me I don't recommend this often), our school was under
stress for some reason I can't remember, and my advanced art students
and I had the biggest clay fight ever, and we just rolled on the floor
laughing in disbelieve! I must say though, the room got cleaned better
than it had been in years after we were done. Some of you probably think
I am nuts, but there is a special bond with me and my students, and this
last month when my mother died, it was as if all of my art students
became angels for the moment and helped lift my heavy heart.

San D

  • Reply: Lynn Foltz: "Re: student independence"