Re: Middle School Administration

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Betti Longinotti (blongino)
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:24:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bunki!
You might not want to talk with me because I'm friends with
Lynn. I have served as a Lead Art Teacher for the WS/FC Schools for the
past 6 years, after our supervisor retired during the wave of
restructuring. My role is quasi-supervision, for the past 2 years it has
been with K-12 art education. I work with about 75 art teachers and I am
based at a school, not at Central Office. Part of my responsibilities
include serving as a mentor teacher for new art teachers. I create
opportunities to work directly with students within our school system. I
am classified and am paid as a teacher, not an administrator or
supervisor. I am still in the process of learning how not to get taken
advantage of, but think it is vitally important that our Art Department
is represented well. I presented on this role a couple of year's ago at
the NAEA Convention in Baltimore, it came under the
Supervision/Administration Division. I am qualified/certified as an art
teacher and in supervision. I would think there may be many
lead teachers out there, but as we are in a non-traditional role it is
hard to organize who we are, where we are, what role we play, and how we
are compensated. I would be interested in knowing if there are others
out there like me, in a similar role.

-Betti L.
WS/FC Schools