middle scool

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Barbara Creasy (bcreasy)
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:59:47 -0400 (EDT)

> Subject: Re: Middle School Administration
> > Here is a question for everyone. What other ways are there to organize an
> >administrative group besides the Principal/Supervisor concept?
> >Joyce Finley at Punahou School, Honolulu, Hawaii jfinley
> .................end message......................
> We have disbanded the Governance Comm. this year and are going back to
> faculty meetings run by the teachers, timed by the teachers, planned by the
> teachers and the principal will be sitting with the staff and not leading
> or running the meetings. We have successfully blunted top-down management
> and it is working great! The principal still meets with the parents, has
> the big office, but we are all working together now and EQUALLY!!!!!
> Bunki Kramer Los Cerros Middle School
> bkramer.ca.us Danville, California 94526

Well, you may be equal, but I bet the principal still earns more! <g>
In Kentucky, we have School Based Decision Baking Councils. These SBDM
Councils are made up of an administrator, 2 teachers elected by the
teachers, and 2 parents, elected by the parents. There are as many
committees as are needed to address needs (we have around a dozen...
curriculum, communication, technology, budget, etc..) Committees are made
up of any interested people, including teachers, administrators, parents,
even students. Issues come before the SBDM, they are sent to the
appropriate committee which is REQUIRED to get input from all parents,
students, and staff and make recomendations to the SBDM. Anyone is welcome
to come to the SBDM meetings twice a month and speak. When a policy is set
by the SBDM, it is the law.

Barb
bcreasy