Re: Exquisit Corpse

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
DONALYN HEISE (dheise)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:14:58 -0500 (CDT)

I have heard of online collaborative projects where students download an
image and manipulate, upload for another to continue the process. Students
have the option of uploading a new work, or working on an existing image.
I think that the project was called "The International Art Project". Has
any of you heard of that project?
Donalyn
Donalyn Heise - dheise ^^ "Good art
ART and TECHNOLOGY Coordinator ^^ won't match
The Community Discovered Project ^^ your sofa"
Westside Community Schools ^^ by
(402) 390-8324 ^^ Fred Babb

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996 ELENI53 wrote:

> << I once knew a museum curator who created art through sending post cards,
> the receipents added to or completely changed the post card and mailed it
> to another, and so on and so on - the result was a form of art - I forgot
> what they called it - and it may have been part of a "movement" or
> something - this was about 10 or 15 years ago -- have you heard of
> anything like that?? - Anyway, I see similarities here - only through
> cyberspace...
> Thanks for the thoughts
>
> Lynn >>
>
> Lynn,
> The only thing similar to that which comes to mind right now is a surrealist
> project, once done by the surrealists at parties....called "the Exquisit
> Corpse." I saw them at the Chicago Art Institute in May:
>
> 8.5x11" paper is folded horizontally to create 4 sections. The top section is
> the head; next section the upper torso to waist; third section down is for
> the lower torso to the knees; and the final section is for the shoes/feet up
> to the knee area.
>
> The paper is folded to conceal the other areas while one person does their
> section of the body...after they're done, they leave 2 lines overlapping into
> the next section and fold it to conceal what they've finished. (I'll
> sometimes have them label, 1,2,3,4 each section lightly in pencil on the side
> so the others know which section of the "corpse" they're working on.
>
> Each student has their own paper and the paper is passed to 4 other people.
> You can have them draw quickly or leave it for a longer project so they can
> really add details and color...either way, it's fun to see the results and
> all the strange "exquisit corpses"
>
> Hey! It might be a good Halloween Project rather than the cookie-cutter
> pumpkins!
>
> {8-) 'Leni

  • Reply: Lynn Foltz: "Re: Exquisit Corpse - collaborative project"