Re: PAEA CONFERENCE - "NETTING IDEAS

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ruth Voyles (rvoyles)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 23:34:55 -0500 (EST)

Hello Dan and PAEA Conference participants:

I teach art at the Toeldo Museum of Art and the University of Toledo.
I use the internet in college level art education classes. Most of my
students are new to the technology, and so I have designed a sort of
online Scavenger Hunt as one of the course assignments to help them learn
to navigate on the 'net. All of the information about requirements and
assignments involving the internet are given via e-mail, and often I
require students to e-mail me their assignments.

In addition, I require my students to sign on to at least one art
related listserv and follow the discussions. Towards the middle of the
quarter I require that they post at least one question related to the
focus of the listserv and respond to at least one posting.

I also have them research art history on the internet and I am tossing
around the idea of having students use images and/or resources
available on the www to complete a computer graphics assignment. I
also want to take advantage of Artsednet's interactive online exhibition
featuring the artist Jesus Morale, and would like to embark on
some collaborative internet projects with other universities and art
students.

Finally, I am interested in talking with other educators at all grade
levels who are using or would like to be using the internet in the artroom.
I will be presenting a workshop at the OAEA conference on November 9
and 10 on using the internet in the art classroom. I think it would be
fabulous if I could offer information on how to contact other teachers
interested in collaborative internet projects to Ohio art educators
during our conference. Any takers? If you are interested in such a
project please e-mail me at rvoyles.

Sincerely,

Ruth Voyles
Art Educator