Moroles Answers!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Elizabeth Reese (reese)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 17:53:29 CST6CDT

From: "Jeff Young" <jyoung>
To: artsednet
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:48:59 CST6CDT
Subject: Moroles questions

Jeff and friends,

What a great beginning! Jesus really enjoyed the questions and
immediately recognized your school's name: "I have a piece
there!" ... So here are ArtsEdNet's first Jesus Moroles Q&As:

Dear Moroles Question Taker,

As I understand this process, someone at pub.getty.edu gives our
questions to Jesus Moroles, he answers them, gives them to you,
you post them on the listserv. Is this correct?

My students and I have two questions in regards to "Granite
Weaving" (one of the MAPS reproductions).

#1 -- we can not tell from the reproduction how this piece is
#only
six (6) pieces of granite. The information on the back of the
reproduction says that six pieces are bolted and glued to a
plywood backing. We have taken some guesses. Can you describe
the shape of the pieces, and how they fit together?

Moroles: That's a good question! There are two bookends with
horizontal panels that are in between the bookend pieces. (Each
horizontal panel is made of) hundreds of pieces glued onto a
horizontal panel. So (when I made it) 1st I'd put down the
botton middle panel, then put another on top and another and
another, and then the bookends; the bottom is thicker, 8 inches
thick, then the next panel is 6 inches thick, the next 4 inches,
then 3 inches.

#2 -- we noticed in the reproduction that as the piece moves
#upward,
the pieces of the weaving don't stick out as much, so that at the
top the granite seems to be on the same plane. We have been
discussing symbols in artwork and wonder if this flattening
represents an idea or image.

Moroles: It's not that complicated; I'm not that deep. What I
do is work with the forms that I have, so that the horizontal
pieces are from a piece of granite that tappered, and so I was
able to use that in the design. It blends in. It's not
symbolism, it's about the design.

One of Mr. Moroles' sculptures is on our campus near the art
gallery.
It is called "Pyramid Bench." It is interesting to compare the
weaving with the bench.

Please thank Mr. Moroles for anwering our questions and for
participating in this project.

Moroles: You are very welcome! This was really fun; when will
there be more questions?

Jeff Young
University of Central Arkansas

Elizabeth Reese for Jesus Bautista Moroles
Marcus Fellow
UNT