tempera dispensing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Becky Alexander (Bekalex)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 07:02:19 -0700

On 10/17 Mark Alexander wrote:

>I have a practical problem that I'm sure someone out there can help me
>with. I need to find a better way to dispense tempera paints.

To which Fred replied

>I use cheap generic paper plates. For my younger students, I put about a
>tablespoon of each color on the plate (pre-mixed liquid tempera in a squeeze
>bottle), usually the primary plus black and white, and they use the plate as
>a palette to mix other colors and values.

I would like to add that you should use lightly wax-coated paper
plates. The no-wax plates get soggy fast and the heavily waxed ones don't
allow for color mixing real well.
Another idea is the meat/veggie plastic tray from the grocery.
These tend to be coated pretty heavily with wax also, though. I have used
the light wax plate most succesfully.
Mixing with one finger is fun at first when learning. It keeps the
area of mix smaller and more controlled. When they have 2 or 3 colors mixed
their job is to paint a picture using their own colors.

Becky Alexander
Porterville, Ca.