Re: tempera dispensing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix Peshette (apeshet)
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 05:19:26 +0000

Mark wrote:

> Dear Art Teachers,
>
> I have a practical problem that I'm sure someone out there can help me
> with. I need to find a better way to dispense tempera paints.
>
> I've been using egg cartons. For most standard painting projects, two
> students team up and share one carton, four brushes, and a one pint yogurt
> container of water. When serving a limited pallette I even use egg cartons
> cut in half. Although clean up is just an easy toss and the price is
> right, egg cartons seem to be getting rare. I'm having a hard time keeping
> the supply up with the demand. I also find them messy for mixing, and
> wasteful at clean up time.
>
> I do art on the cart, so the dispensing method must be compact, and able to
> fit in a kit-like box. Class sizes average 16, but I have one grades 1,2
> class with 34 students. The students work at small classroom desks in
> every conceivable arrangement, so again, small is best. There is virtually
> no storage available in the individual classrooms.
>
> We also have short periods for the most part, so I would like to avoid
> spending extra time setting up and cleaning out individual little cups. I
> prefer to refill as needed rather than put a lot of paint out in the
> beginning.
>
> Of course, I'm also on a limited budget. Those fancy cups in the catalogs
> that come with a brush hole and cover would be great, but too expensive for
> Falls Village right now. Any inexpensive and easy options out there in
> professional problem solving land? I look forward to hearing from you!
>
> Mark Alexander
> 1-8 Art
> Lee H. Kellogg School
> Falls Village, CT 06031

Hi Mark;

I have been using 'portion cups' with lids from my local restaurant
supply store. We, in California, have a chain called Smart and
Final. It's open to the retail public and they sell lots of
disposable stuff for cheap. The portion cups come in all sizes. I also use the cups to let students mix their
own colors. The cups will also fit nicely into muffin tins for 'serving up' a
selection of paint. The muffin tins often show up at thrift stores or
go on sale at Walmart. Hope this helps.

-Alix Peshette
Emerson Junior High
Davis, CA