Re: Re: Final Word Re: spelling

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:07:21 -0500

I love my word processing program because it has a great spell checker.
I've never been a naturally good speller, and I think I'm now addicted to
that spell checker. Its a kind of crutch. Of course I have to be aware of
exactly which word it thinks I mean, but I'm usually fairly good at that.

My email program doesn't have a spell checker, and I use a ratty old
Websters. It always sits on the desk next to me. If I notice a word that
doesn't look right I check it out in Websters. Of course that doesn't do a
thing for those words I don't recognize as wrong. Email, being so
immediate, is not condusive to proof reading later on...another good way I
check my spelling.

The worst misspelling situations for me are when I'm writing on the board
in class (I ask students to look up words for me all the time!!), or while
jotting down quick notes to send home with a student, or to school to my
children's teachers. I'll frequently adjust the wording to avoid hard to
spell words.

I'll continue to work on it, but I expect I'll continue to misspell words
from time to time anyway. I guess I'm just short a bit on one of those 7
(now 8??) intelligences Gardner talks about.

Spelling is a problem for me and people around me tend to know it. But I
think most of them appreciate me for my art, for my skills as a parent, and
because of my abilities as a teacher and a citizen.

SO! If you notice I've misspelled a word that changes the meaning of my
writing, or makes it difficult to understand what I'm saying, or if its a
word like Kitsch or integration that I misspell repeatedly...just let me
know. I'd appreciate it. I love learning and I have a lot of learning to
do.

Mark Alexander
1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School