Re: Moroles questions

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:32:34 CST6CDT

From: "Jeff Young" <jyoung>
To: artsednet
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:48:59 CST6CDT
Subject: Moroles questions

Dear Moroles Question Taker,

As I understand this process, someone at pub.getty.edu gives our
questions to Jesus Moroles, he answers them, gives them to you, you
post them on the listserv. Is this correct?

My students and I have two questions in regards to "Granite Weaving"
(one of the MAPS reproductions).

#1 -- we can not tell from the reproduction how this piece is only
six (6) pieces of granite. The information on the back of the reproduction
says that six pieces are bolted and glued to a plywood backing. We have taken
some guesses. Can you describe the shape of the pieces, and how they fit
together?

#2 -- we noticed in the reproduction that as the piece moves upward,
the pieces of the weaving don't stick out as much, so that at the top
the granite seems to be on the same plane. We have been discussing
symbols in artwork and wonder if this flattening represents an idea
or image.

One of Mr. Moroles' sculptures is on our campus near the art gallery.
It is called "Pyramid Bench." It is interesting to compare the
weaving with the bench.

Please thank Mr. Moroles for anwering our questions and for
participating in this project.

Jeff Young
University of Central Arkansas

Dear Jeff:

Thanks so much for your response. You are right about the
process - Jesus travels so much that it would be difficult for
him to respond directly, so we will be your go-betweens.

I will pass on your questions to Jesus and respond with his
answers as soon as possible.

One of the things that fascinates me about "Granite Weaving" is
its relative size. It's often difficult to get a sense of scale
from a reproduction, but this work is big - 96 1/2 x 76 x 10
inches.

Thanks again,

Nancy

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator